Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Three Favorite Words. Back.To.School.

As I get ready to send my youngest off to her senior year of high school. It is with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat that I get to say my three favorite words for the last time. Back. To. School. I have been thinking about the many reasons why I just love this time of year, and the fact that is going to be a year of lasts for us. #yearoflasts will be another blog post, so here are my back to school favs.

1. Having a schedule and sticking to it.
I love getting all of the school, sports and band schedules and putting them in my planner. I am an organizer. It never gets old.

2. School Supplies!!
I know there are plenty of moms out there who hate the task of taking their kids shopping for back to school supplies. I LOVE IT!! Call me up and I will take your kid for you. I love new pencils, pens, notebooks and binders. Hell, I even get excited about new Post-Its.


3. The smell of crayons.
Seriously, do I need to say any more? You may have seen me lurking in the office supply isle with my nose buried in a box of crayons. It has been a long time since my kids have had to buy crayons for school and I miss them.


4. The return of our favorite TV shows for a new season.
Since I can remember, I have looked forward to the start of the fall TV season. When my shows and my people are back, then all is right with the world. Hello Sheldon. Hello Bravermans. Hello Ron Swanson.

5. A bedtime and morning routine.
We were "those" parents who put our kids to bed at the same time every night. I remember my daughter saying one night "Why do I have to go to bed when the neighbors are still jumping on their trampoline?" My response to her was "Well honey, you get straight A's and they don't. Good Night."
There is a lot to be said for a good morning routine as well. When things flow like clockwork, kids are more likely to start their day on a good note and in a good mood.


6. More ME time.
After working full time outside the home for 11 years, last year I started my own business. I do it part time, from home mostly, when ever I feel like it and I couldn't be happier!! I have had the most amazing year so far, and it can only get better from here! I have time for lunch with friends, trips to the outlet mall and time with my dogs. It has really improved my personality. Ask anyone.

7. Back to school means Fall is just around the corner.
I don't want to wish away summer. I mean there are a lot of great things about summer. But fall, oh how I love you. The colors, the weather, the clothes. All of it.

8. The return of the thing that I am so very, very good at. Packing a lunch!
Next to laundry, packing a lunch is right up there with one of the things I do best. I will pack lunch for my kids up until the last day of their senior year of high school. I am good at it and I take pride in it!

9. Getting to see people without having to plan something.
The lazy days of summer also mean to me that there are no concrete plans for anything. And unless your kids play sports or do some other activity with their friends, you will never see them or their parents. Well, maybe you don't want to see their parents. Anyway, I enjoy going to Friday night football games and concerts and seeing all of the people I haven't seen since last school year.

10. My kids love school and love to learn.
We have somehow managed to raise three kids who love school and love to learn. It helps that we are in one of the best public school systems in our state. That was by no accident either, my husband and I both attended this same school district and knew it would be a perfect fit for our kids. On a few occasions last year after noticing that school was really starting to wear my daughter down, I offered to let her stay home. She declined and said she really didn't want to miss out on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment